Another recipe from Rocco Gets Real. I will say I could not find the bottle of sliced hot cherry peppers, so I used a jar of roasted red peppers instead. It still tasted really good.
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 eggs, beaten well
1 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 large potato
2 – 13.5 oz jars pasta sauce
1/2 cup sliced hot cherry peppers, drained (again, I substituted a drained jar of roasted red peppers)
1/2 cup chopped parsley or basil (I used dried parsley)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Divide mixture into 8 portions. Roll each portion into a large meatball.
2. Peel potato and shred it on a box grater. Wrap the shredded potato in a clean cotton kitchen towel (or paper towels). Hold it over the sink and squeeze as much water out as you can.
3. Combine the pasta sauce and cherry peppers in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high until hot, 3 to 4 mins. Stir in shredded potatoes. Season generously with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the pasta sauce mixture in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Add the meatballs to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 mins. Turn each meatball over. Continue to bake until meatballs are cooked through and potatoes are tender, another 20 to 30 mins.
5. Sprinkle parsley on top and serve.
These do make HUGE meatballs, so I am of the opinion you get two meals out of this recipe.